Smartshield is a tough, durable, UV resistant and attractive coating which is resistant to a wide range of aggressive chemicals and petroleum solvents making it ideal for the protection of concrete where is comes in contact with pollutants in spill containment and also waste water treatment plants, conduits and manholes. It will resist sulfuric acid and other corrosive chemicals found in waste water. There is also no need to wait 28 days for new concrete to cure before application. It can be applied as soon as concrete repairs are made. Smartshield performs extremely well as corrosion protection for metals and can be applied to very cold surfaces. Unlike epoxy materials that have extended cure times in cold conditions, Smartshield cures quickly. Conversely, in hot conditions the cure does not accelerate, as occurs with epoxy products. This product is available in OSHA approved safety colors as well as white and gray.
- Smartshield is successfully used on interior and exterior surfaces of walls, ceilings and floors.
- Direct to metal corrosion protection on structures, pipelines and fittings.
- Protection of concrete against chemical spills, petroleum products, acids, and other corrosive materials.
- Lining of Concrete containers, reservoirs, spill containment and manholes.
- Protects and repairs fresh water supply and waste water system facilities.
- Coating OEM machine parts and vehicle containers transporting corrosive products.
- Metal guard rails, metal stairs and railings and safety markings of all types.
- Single component product. No Mixing.
- Applies easily using brush, roller or spray.
- Opened containers can be resealed for later use avoiding significant waste.
- Can be applied to glass, ceramic tiles, concrete, metal including stainless steel, GRP, wood and many other surfaces.
- Odorless, non-toxic and contains no solvents.
- Applies to very cold, damp surfaces and cures at temperatures well below freezing.
- Seals apertures around ducts and pipe penetrations without introducing other trades.
- Resists daily mandatory cleaning using aggressive cleaners with high pressure water jets at 160ᵒF.
- Positive moisture transmission allows moisture to disperse as vapor, which reduces chances of failed adhesion due to moisture build up.
- Environmentally friendly.
Technical Data Sheet
Smartshield is a single component, 100% solids, solvent free coating which contains no solvents. It forms an extremely smooth and highly durable abrasion and impact resistant surface. It is very UV stable and resistant to aggressive chemicals and solvents. Provides excellent corrosion protection to metal surfaces. Smartshield creates optimal conditions to resist the growth and accumulation of bacteria on the easy to clean surface of the coating. Also, the ability to apply the product at low temperatures is setting new standards for this application.
Shelf life and storage conditions
Total Thickness (smooth surface)
Container Size / Article- Packaging
Smartshield – 1 gallon Bucket White, Grey, Safety Yellow, Clear (Special Colors possible upon request)
Smarttech Fabric- 4″ x 300ft Roll
Drying time (touch dry)
10 mils Dry
Coverage Per Coat: 160 ft2/gal
Minimum Thickness required: 20mils
Minimum coats required: 2
Surface Roughness, unevenness and high absorbency will consume more product to achieve desired thickness.
Vapor Transmission ASTM E96
4.2 Perms @ 20mils
Smartshield is successfully used in applications such as:
- Direct to metal corrosion protection on structures, pipelines, vehicles, storage tanks etc.
- Protection of concrete against chemical spills.
- Lining of concrete tanks or reservoirs
- Repairs and protection of waste water systems and facilities.
- Coating OEM machine parts
- Concrete & Masonry
- Glass, Ceramic & Ceramic tiles
- GRP Panels(Glass Reinforced Polyester)
- Wood *
* These surfaces may need priming since they are usually quite porous.
Smartshield offers the following advantages:
- Ready to use
- Solvent free
- No mixing of components.
- Containers can be resealed for future use
- Can be applied to damp surfaces
- No 28 day wait on new concrete & masonry surfaces
- Seamless, monolithic surface
- Seamless and joint free, monolithic surface
- No joints, seamless monolithic surface
- No locations for bacteria or germs to lodge
- Odorless – allowing application in close proximity to food products
- Fast curing from +23°F
- After curing it is resistant to animal fats, blood and aggressive cleaning chemicals with 160ºF plus hot water pressure rinsing
- Contains no solvents
- Contains no isocyanates, reducing health concerns
- Adheres to most building surfaces without priming
Surfaces must be sound, clean, free of dust and loosely adhering particles, all traces of corrosion, oil, fats, mildew and algae.
Concrete and masonry surfaces should ideally not have a moisture content above 8%. Surfaces should be free of laitance and efflorescence as well as any other deposits that may interfere with the bond to the concrete or masonry.
Before applying Smartshield, surfaces must be wiped down with a cleaning fluid such as denatured alcohol or other appropriate cleaning method ensuring that no residue remains.
The product must be gently stirred before use, taking care not to entrain air as this will create air bubbles in the coating which may form small craters on curing. Should this occur allow the product to stand with the lid in place for between 5 and 10 minutes to allow air to escape.
Metal, Concrete and Masonry, Glass or Ceramic require no priming.
On wood or gypsum surfaces prime surface with Smarttech Primer. This will prevent any tannin bleed from the wood and will also preseal the porous nature of the surface.For other substrates not mentioned above contact the customer service line.
White, Grey, OSHA approved Yellow, Red, Blue and Green Safety colors and Clear, Other colors available upon request.
In some applications the owner or applicator may elect to produce a thicker coating. This will result in greater consumption of Smartshield.
At all junctions between panels, dissimilar substrates, pipe or conduit penetrations and at plane junctions, apply Smarttech Fabric to reinforce these locations.
Apply a moderate coat of Smartshield by brush or roller symmetrically over the joints covering approximately 2” each side of the junctions (e.g. corners, panel joints, floor to wall and wall to ceiling junctions). Lay in the 4” wide fabric symmetrically over the joint and embed using a brush or roller. Make sure that no bubbles or creases appear in the fabric. At the same time apply a moderate coat of Smartshield over the entire area to be treated. Allow to become touch dry (about 2 hours at 38ºF).
Once touch dry apply a second moderate coat over the entire area. Do not over apply coating to avoid runs on the surface. This will complete the monolithic lining of the treated surfaces.
Wall surfaces will be serviceable in 6 hours and floors walkable in 12 hours.
The coverage of Smartshield will be approximately 80ft ²/gal. total for the entire application. This will, however, depend upon porosity and smoothness of the substrate. (see “Coverage“ be-low)
Smooth surfaces 85ft²/gal.
This includes total coverage for both coats.
Resistance to Chemicals
Chemical resistance tests show that cured Smartshield is resistant to many solvents, acids and alkalis like:
- Diesel and Gasoline
- MEK (methyl ethyl ketone)
- White spirits
- Sulfuric Acid 5%
- Hydrochloric Acid
- Sodium hydroxide 5%
- Animal Fats and Blood
- Hydraulic fluid
It is advisable to allow 48 hours cure before subjecting surfaces to
Ambient Temperature 23°F to + 110 °F
Surface Temperature 23°F to + 95 °F
Note: Do not apply over frozen matter!
Touch dry after 2 hours at 38°F and 50% RH
Trafficable after 12 hours at 38°F and 50% RH
Fully cured after 14days.
Uncured Smartshield can be removed with White Spirits. Cured Smartshield can only be removed mechanically.
Carefully read the Safety Data Sheet for Smartshield before use. Avoid contact with eyes and skin as this may cause irritation. Should contact with eyes occur rinse for 15 minutes under running water. If swallowed do not induce vomiting and seek the advice of a physician.
Unopened containers: 12 months from manufacture date.
Opened unused Material: Replace lid on container firmly. When reopening for further use, remove any skin that might have developed on the surface and mix gently to create a homogeneous liquid without entraining air bubbles.
The information contained in this technical data sheet is based upon our experience and is therefore not binding. All data are laboratory values, which may differ in practice. Therefore, these represent no assurance of characteristics. This data is given in order to allow compliance with respective local specificities. The variety of possibilities and the specific project details in combination with the products cannot be handled within the framework of this data sheet. If you have questions, please contact us.
It is the user’s responsibility to be informed about the characteristics of the products as well as the technical information and proper processing. Please take careful note of all manufacturers’ specifications, e.g. information on surface pretreatment. A specific result cannot be guaranteed due to differing prevailing individual conditions, which can lead to differing result. Preliminary tests are advised to test for the desired result.