Polarcoat can be applied and will cure without raising the temperatures in cold rooms and without having to remove sensitive merchandise or refrigerated foods for fear of contamination by evaporated solvents or paint odours. It forms a high gloss tough monolithic surface minimizing the potential for germ or bacteria growth. Polarcoat was developed specifically for use in Cold rooms, walk in freezers and cold storage facilities, medical facilities and cleanrooms where an easy to clean surface really matters. Polarcoat offers virtual renewal without the disruption and expense of replacing of wall or ceiling panels. Polarcoat is foodsafe and carries InS accreditation – see Polarcoat Technical Data Sheet
- Cold Rooms and Cold Storage Warehouses.
- Food Handling and Food Processing Rooms e.g. Abattoirs, Bakeries, Supermarket Preparation Areas, Restaurants and Commercial Kitchens.
- Cleanrooms in electronic manufacturing and testing facilities.
- Hospital departments designated as a Cleanrooms such as operating rooms, laboratories and nuclear medicine facilities.
- Coating inside refrigerated boxes on delivery and transport vehicles.
- Withstands daily mandatory cleaning using aggressive cleaners and pressure water jets at 70ºC.
- Odourless. 100% Solvent Free.
- Contains no solvents. Non Toxic.
- Single Component. No Mixing.
- Applies easily using brush, roller or spray.
- Open containers can be resealed for later use avoiding significant waste.
- Applies to Glass, Ceramic Tiles, Concrete, Metal including Stainless Steel, GRP, Wood and many other surfaces.
- Will cure in temperatures below freezing.
- Seals apertures in walls and ceilings without having to introduce other trades.
- Will create a complete monolithic enclosure when used with jointing fabric and Surefloor.
- Retards bacterial growth.
- Cures to a high gloss, smooth finish.
- Environmentally friendly.
Technical Data Sheet
Polarcoat is a single component, 100% solids, solvent free coating. It forms an extremely smooth and highly durable abrasion, impact and chemical resistant surface. Polarcoat is also UV resistant. The properties of Polarcoat create optimal conditions to resist the growth and accumulation of bacteria on the easy to clean surface of the coating. Also, the ability to apply the product at low temperatures is setting new standards.
In corners and junctions Polarcoat used in conjunction with Smarttech Fabric creates a monolithic surface, leaving no crevices for the formation of bacteria. Resistant to most aggressive chemicals and solvents and Ultra Violet attack.
Shelf life and storage conditions
unopened 12 Months, Storage Temp. +5 to 32°C
-10°C – 45°C (Ambient)
-10°C – 50°C (Surface)
Application possible at -23ºC with special conditions. Contact technical department.
Total Thickness (smooth surface)
On smooth even surfaces: 0.5l/m2
Surface Roughness, unevenness and high absorbency will consume more product to achieve desired thickness
Drying time (touch dry), Trafficable
1 hour at 0°C and 50% rel. humidity
Lightly walkable2 hours at 0°C and 50% RH
Taber Abrasion ASTM D-4060-14
Wear Index I=58 @1000cycles
Water vapour Permeability ASTM E-96
24×10-8 g.s-1.m-2.Pa-1 ( 4.2 perms) @ 0.5mm thick
Food Contact Safe: InS R1
Container Size / Article - Packaging - Color
Polarcoat – 3.5litre – White (Special Colours possible upon request)
Smarttech Fabric – 100mm x 90m
Smart Block Matt Sealer – 2 comp.Kit 3kg Clear Matt
Polarcoat is successfully used on the interior surface walls, ceilings and floors of:
- Cold Rooms
- Cold Storage warehouses
- In food handling and food processing rooms, e.g. Abattoirs, Bakeries, Supermarket Prep. Areas, Restaurants and Commercial Kitchens
- Clean rooms and medical facilities
- Metal ( including Stainless Steel)
- Concrete & Masonry
- Glass, Ceramic & Ceramic tiles
- GRP Panels(Glass Reinforced Polyester)
- Wood *
* These surfaces may need priming since they are usually quite porous.
Polarcoat offers the following advantages:
- ready to use
- solvent free
- Containers can be resealed for future use
- can be applied to wet surfaces
- No 28 day wait on new concrete & masonry surfaces
- Seamless, monolithic surface
- No joints
- No locations for bacteria or germs to lodge
- Odourless – allowing application in close proximity to food products
- Fast curing well below 0°C
- After curing it is resistant to animal fats, blood and aggressive cleaning chemicals with 70ºC plus, hot water pressure rinsing.
- Contains no isocyanates, reducing health concerns
- Adheres to most building surfaces without priming
Other colours available upon request.
Note: Slight variations in colour can occur between batches.
Surfaces must be sound, clean, free of dust and loosely adhering particles, all traces of corrosion, oil, fats. Mildew and algae must be removed with bleach solution.
Concrete and masonry surfaces should ideally not have a moisture content above 8%. Surfaces should be free of laitance and efflorescence as well as any other deposits that may interfere with the bond to the concrete or masonry.
Before applying Polarcoat, surfaces must be lightly abraded and wiped down with a cleaning fluid such as denatured alcohol or other appropriate cleaning method ensuring that no oils, fats or other residue remain.
Polarcoat must be gently stirred before use, taking care not to entrain air as this will create air bubbles in the coating which may form small craters on curing. Should this occur allow the product to stand with the lid in place for between 5 and 10 minutes to allow air to escape.
Metal, Concrete and Masonry, Glass or Ceramic generally require no priming.
On wooden surfaces only where tannin bleed may be expected or on concrete or other surfaces where contamination might cause staining, prime surface with Smart Block Primer. This will prevent any staining from the existing surface.
For previously painted surfaces or other substrates not mentioned above contact customer service.
At all junctions between panels, dissimilar substrates, pipe or conduit penetrations and at plane junctions, apply Smarttech Fabric to reinforce these locations.
Apply a moderate coat of Polarcoat by brush or roller symmetrically over the joints covering approximately 50mm each side of the junctions (e.g. corners, panel joints, floor to wall and wall to ceiling junctions). Lay in the 100mm wide fabric symmetrically over the joint and imbed using a brush or roller. Make sure that no bubbles or creases appear in the fabric. At the same time apply a moderate coat of Polarcoat at 0.25l/m2 over the entire area to be treated. Allow to become touch dry (about 1 hours at 0ºC). At this stage any unacceptable surface imperfections related to the fabric application maybe lightly sanded before commencing with the final coat.
Once touch dry apply a second moderate coat of Polarcoat at 0.25l/m2 over the entire area. Do not over apply coating to avoid runs on the surface. This will complete the monolithic lining of the treated surfaces.
Wall surfaces will be serviceable in 2hours and floors lightly walkable in 2 hours.
The coverage of Polarcoat will be approximately 0.5l/m2 total for the entire application. This will, however, depend upon porosity and smoothness of the substrate. (see “Coverage“ below)
Smooth surfaces minimum 0.5l/m2
This includes total coverage for both coats
Resistance to Chemicals
Chemical resistance tests show that cured Polarcoat is resistant to many solvents, acids and alkalis like
- Methyl Ethyl Ketone
- White spirits
- Sulfuric Acid 5%
- Sodium hydroxide 5%
- Hydrochloric Acid 5%
- Animal Fats and Blood
- Commercial cleaning chemicals
It is advisable to allow 48 hours cure before subjecting surfaces to aggressive cleaning chemicals.
Ambient Temperature: -10°C to 45°C
Surface Temperature: -10°C to 50°C
Note:Do not apply over frozen matter!
Polarcoat can be applied at temperatures as low as -23°C. Contact our technical department for specific instructions.
Touch dry after 2 hours at 0°C and 50% RH
Fully cured after 14days.
Uncured Polarcoat can be removed with Denatured Alcohol. Cured Polarcoat can only be removed mechanically.
Carefully read the Safety Data Sheet for Polarcoat before use. Avoid contact with eyes and skin as this may cause irritation. Should contact with eyes occur rinse for 15 minutes under running water. If swallowed do not induce vomiting and seek the advice of a physician. In confined areas of application ensure good airflow with fans or similar.
Unopened containers: 12 months from manufacture date.
Opened unused Material: Replace lid on container firmly. When reopening for further use, remove any skin that might have developed on the surface and mix gently to create a homogeneous liquid without entraining air bubbles.
The information contained in this technical data sheet is based upon our experience and is therefore not binding. All data are laboratory values, which may differ in practice. Therefore, these represent no assurance of characteristics. This data is given in order to allow compliance with respective local specificities. The variety of possibilities and the specific project details in combination with the products cannot be handled within the framework of this data sheet. If you have questions, please contact us.
It is the user’s responsibility to be informed about the characteristics of the products as well as the technical information and proper processing. Please take careful note of all manufacturers’ specifications, e.g. information on surface pretreatment. A specific result cannot be guaranteed due to differing prevailing individual conditions, which can lead to differing result. Preliminary tests are advised to test for the desired result.