Smartshield is a tough, durable, UV resistant and attractive coating which is resistant to a wide range of aggressive chemicals and petroleum solvents making it ideal for the protection of concrete where is comes in contact with pollutants in spill containment and also waste water treatment plants, conduits and manholes. It will resist sulfuric acid and other corrosive chemicals found in waste water. There is also no need to wait 28 days for new concrete to cure before application. It can be applied as soon as concrete repairs are made. Smartshield performs extremely well as corrosion protection for metals and can be applied to very cold surfaces. Unlike epoxy materials that have extended cure times in cold conditions, Smartshield cures quickly. Conversely, in hot conditions the cure does not accelerate, as occurs with epoxy products. This product is available in OSHA approved safety colors as well as white and gray.
- Smartshield is successfully used on interior and exterior surfaces of walls, ceilings and floors.
- Direct to metal corrosion protection on structures, pipelines and fittings.
- Protection of concrete against chemical spills, petroleum products, acids, and other corrosive materials.
- Lining of Concrete containers, reservoirs, spill containment and manholes.
- Protects and repairs fresh water supply and waste water system facilities.
- Coating OEM machine parts and vehicle containers transporting corrosive products.
- Metal guard rails, metal stairs and railings and safety markings of all types.
- Single component product. No Mixing.
- Applies easily using brush, roller or spray.
- Opened containers can be resealed for later use avoiding significant waste.
- Can be applied to glass, ceramic tiles, concrete, metal including stainless steel, GRP, wood and many other surfaces.
- Odourless, non-toxic and contains no solvents.
- Applies to very cold, damp surfaces and cures at temperatures well below freezing.
- Seals apertures around ducts and pipe penetrations without introducing other trades.
- Resists daily mandatory cleaning using aggressive cleaners with high pressure water jets at 160ᵒF.
- Positive moisture transmission allows moisture to disperse as vapor, which reduces chances of failed adhesion due to moisture build up.
- Environmentally friendly.
Technical Data Sheet
Smartshield is a single component, 100% solids, solvent free coating, It forms an extremely smooth and highly durable abrasion and impact resistant surface. It is UV stable and resistant to aggressive chemicals and solvents. Provides excellent corrosion protection to metal surfaces. Smartshield creates optimal conditions to resist the growth and accumulation of bacteria on the easy to clean surface of the coating. Also, the ability to apply the product at low temperatures is setting new standards for this application.
In corners and junctions Smartshield used in conjunction with Smarttech Fabric creates a monolithic surface, leaving no crevices for the formation of bacteria.
Resists acid attack on concrete and metal in waste water systems and can be coated over new concrete.
Shelf life and storage conditions
-10- 45°C (Ambient)
-10 – 50°C (Surface)
Application possible at -23ºC with special conditions. Contact technical department.
Total Thickness (smooth surface)
Drying time (touch dry)
Lightly walkable after 2 hours at 0°C and 50% RH
On smooth even surfaces: 0.5l/m2
(Surface Roughness, Unevenness and high absorbency will consume more product to achieve desired thickness.)
Taber Abrasion ASTM D-4060-14
Wear Index I=58 @1000cycles
Water vapour Permeability ASTM E-96
24×10-8 g.s-1.m-2.Pa-1 ( 4.2 perms) @ 0.5mm thick
Container Size / Article- Packaging
Smartshield – 3.5litre Bucket White, Grey, Safety Yellow, Red, Blue and Green and Clear (Special Colours possible upon request)
Smarttech Fabric – 100mm x 100m Roll
Smart Block Matt Sealer Packaging – 3kg Kit
Smartshield is successfully used in applications such as:
- Direct to metal corrosion protection on structures, pipelines, vehicles, storage tanks etc.
- Protection of concrete against chemical spills
- Lining of concrete or metal tanks or reservoirs
- Repairs and protection of waste water systems and facilities
- Coating OEM machine parts
- Metal (including Stainless Steel)
- Concrete & Masonry
- Glass, Ceramic & Ceramic tiles
- GRP Panels(Glass Reinforced Polyester)
* These surfaces may need priming since they are usually quite porous.
Smartshield offers the following advantages:
- Ready to use
- Solvent free
- Containers can be resealed for future use
- Can be applied to damp surfaces
- No 28 day wait on new concrete & masonry surfaces
- No joints, seamless monolithic surface
- No locations for bacteria or germs to lodge
- Odourless – allowing application in close proximity to food products
- Fast curing from -10°C
- After curing it is resistant to animal fats, blood and aggressive cleaning chemicals with 70ºC plus hot water pressure rinsing.
- Contains no isocyanates, reducing health concerns
- Adheres to most building surfaces without priming
Surfaces must be sound, clean, free of dust and loosely adhering particles, all traces of corrosion, oil, fats. Mildew and algae must be removed with bleach solution.
Concrete and masonry surfaces should ideally not have a moisture content above 8%. Surfaces should be free of laitance and efflorescence as well as any other deposits that may interfere with the bond to the concrete or masonry.
Before applying Smartshield, surfaces must be lightly abraded and wiped down with a cleaning fluid such as denatured alcohol or other appropriate cleaning method ensuring that no oils, fats or other residue remain.
The product must be gently stirred before use, taking care not to entrain air as this will create air bubbles in the coating which may form small craters on curing. Should this occur, allow the product to stand with the lid in place for between 5 and 10 minutes to allow air to escape.
Metal, Concrete and Masonry, Glass or Ceramic generally require no priming.
On wooden surfaces, only where tannin bleed may be expected, or on concrete or other surfaces where contamination might cause staining, prime surface with Smart Block Primer. This will prevent any staining from the existing surface.For other substrates not mentioned above contact customer service.
White, Grey, RAL Yellow, Red, Blue and Green Safety colours and Clear
Other colours available upon request.
In some applications the owner or applicator may elect to produce a thicker coating. This will result in greater consumption of Smartshield.
At all junctions between panels, dissimilar substrates, pipe or conduit penetrations and at plane junctions, apply Smarttech Fabric to reinforce these locations.
Apply a moderate coat of Smartshield by brush or roller symmetrically over the joints covering approximately 50mm each side of the junctions (e.g. corners, panel joints, floor to wall and wall to ceiling junctions). Lay in the 100mm wide fabric symmetrically over the joint and imbed using a brush or roller. Make sure that no bubbles or creases appear in the fabric. At the same time apply a moderate coat of Smartshield at 0.25l/m2 over the entire area to be treated. Allow to become touch dry (about 1 hour at 0ºC). At this stage any unacceptable surface imperfections related to the fabric application maybe lightly sanded before commencing with the final coat.
Once touch dry apply a second moderate coat of Smartshield at 0.25l/m2 over the entire area. Do not over apply coating to avoid runs on the surface. This will complete the monolithic lining of the treated surfaces.
Wall surfaces will be serviceable in 2 hours and floors walkable in 2 hours.
Smooth surfaces 0.5litre/m²
This includes total coverage for both coats.
Resistance to Chemicals
Chemical resistance tests show that cured Smartshield is resistant to many solvents, acids and alkalis like
- Diesel and Gasoline
- MEK (methyl ethyl ketone)
- White spirits
- Sulphuric Acid 5%
- Sodium hydroxide 5%
- Hydrochloric Acid 5%
- Animal Fats and Blood
- Hydraulic fluid
It is advisable to allow 48 hours cure before subjecting surfaces to aggressive chemicals.
Ambient Temperature: -10°C to 45°C
Surface Temperature: -10°C to 50°C
Do not apply over frozen matter!
Polarcoat can be applied at temperatures as low as -23°C. Contact our technical department for specific instructions.
Touch dry after 1 hour at 0°C and 50% RH
Lightly Trafficable after 2 hours at 0°C and 50% RH
Fully cured after 14days.
Uncured Smartshield can be removed with Denatured Alcohol. Cured Smartshield can only be removed mechanically.
Carefully read the Safety Data Sheet for Smartshield before use. Avoid contact with eyes and skin as this may cause irritation. Should contact with eyes occur rinse for 15 minutes under running water. If swallowed do not induce vomiting and seek the advice of a doctor.
Unopened containers: 12 months from manufacture date.
Opened unused Material: Replace lid on container firmly. When reopening for further use, remove any skin that might have developed on the surface and mix gently to create a homogeneous liquid without entraining air bubbles.
The information contained in this technical data sheet is based upon our experience and is therefore not binding. All data are laboratory values, which may differ in practice. Therefore, these represent no assurance of characteristics. This data is given in order to allow compliance with respective local specificities. The variety of possibilities and the specific project details in combination with the products cannot be handled within the framework of this data sheet. If you have questions, please contact us.
It is the user’s responsibility to be informed about the characteristics of the products as well as the technical information and proper processing. Please take careful note of all manufacturers’ specifications, e.g. information on surface pretreatment.. A specific result cannot be guaranteed due to differing prevailing individual conditions, which can lead to differing result. Preliminary tests are advised to test for the desired result.